In my previous tutorial I have shown you how to download LiDAR data from national map viewer of USGS.
In this post I will show you how to create shape file form LiDAR data. In my next post I am going to use this shape file to clip satellite imagery in Python.
- Howto Download LiDAR Data free
- BeginnersGuide to LiDAR: Light Detection and Ranging
- 3DDigital Surface Model with Python and Pylidar
- ClipRaster with a Shape file in Python
- DownloadHigh Resolution Satellite Imagery free online
To make shape file of LiDAR data, you need to download LAStools, which is an open source tool.
After downloading LAStools (zip file), extract it and go to the bin folder of LAStools.
Now inside bin folder open lasboundary application and do followings steps:
1. Inside application click on browse button (top left)
2. Type your directory name (C:, D:, E: etc) and click on go button. Then select format of you LiDAR data (LAS, LAZ, ply etc). My input LiDAR data format is .LAZ, so I am selecting .LAZ.
3. Now locate you LiDAR data by clicking through (double click) folders
4. Now click on output tab (top right) and double click on dir
5. Next choose output directory where you want save your shape file of input LiDAR data. You can select current directory also.
6. Now give a name to your output shape file. I am giving it as lidar_shape
7. Now choose format of shape file you want to save. I am choosing shp as my outpu shape file format.
8. At this point you are all done with settings. Now you just need to click on run button and then from the pop up click on start button to create shape file of LiDAR data (input LiDAR data)
9. Now in the output directory 4 files will be created, keep those files inside one folder. That’s it. You have successfully created shape file from your input LiDAR data.
In this tutorial you have seen how to create shape file of LiDAR data. In my next tutorial I will show you how to clip imagery from this shape file.
Download high resolution satellite imagery free online
Beginners Guide to LiDAR: Light Detection and Ranging
Warp perspective and Transform OpenCV python
Capturing mouse click events with Python and OpenCV
Python | Draw geometric shapes on image using OpenCV
Most useful OpenCV functions to know for image analytics